Fifth Kyu Requirements
Minimum 3 months and 30 hours of training after earning 6th kyu
Ki Tests and Exercises
- Hanmi no kamae
- "Half-body stance"
- Banzai no kamae
- Stance with feet shoulder-width and both arms raised
- Zengo undo
- Raising and lowering arms as if cutting with a sword with 180 degree pivoting motion
- Happo undo
- Raising and lowering arms with movement as if cutting in eight directions
- Tekubikosa undo
- "Crossing the wrists exercise" upper and lower variations required
- Kamae with bokken
- Demonstration of the five basic sword stances
- Bokken and jo suburi
- Demonstration of basic strikes with sword and staff
- Shomenuchi kotegaeshi
- Downward strike to the head "wrist turning" throw and pin
- Shomenuchi ikkyo
- Downward strike to the head, "first teaching" and pin.
- Katatetori sankyo
- Same side wrist grab, "third teaching" both nage waza (throwing)
and katame wasa (pinning) variations are required.
- Yokomenuchi sokumen iriminage
- Strike to the side of the head "side of the face entering throw"; technique performed in the manner of sayu undo.
- Munetsuki kotegaeshi
- thrusting strike tot he chest wrist turning throw and pin
- Katatetori kaitenage
- Same side wrist grasp, "rotary throw" tenkan variation required
Techniques from lower kyu levels
Promotion Page |
©SAP Jan. 19, 1997